Thursday, February 16, 2006

Time for Silence

I've noticed that most church happenings have a definite schedule of go-go-go. The worship team keeps the tempo up, the planners make sure every minute is filled with something. They're scared that if there's a break, a pause, then the "mood" will be lost, folk would get all awkward, and the entire process will break down.

After a few years off church, the cynical me sees it as one long manipulative, entertainment thing. Which I know is not the motivation behind what happens, but nonetheless. As I said, I'm cynical.

There seems to be little space for silence and contemplation. I want to make space for these at @5. I know it's not going to be easy - it's hard to be comfortable with being quiet, sitting still and being alone with your thoughts. But the Quakers have done it, and others have too. There are elements of worship and beauty that can only come forth in silence.

I remember one such time at the Baptist church when I was on the worship team. We had a new leader, it was her first week up front. Where I'd had to rush to keep up with other leaders, not a moment of quiet in the programme, she let the Spirit dictate what was next - her whole family was a very Spirit-led one (albiet a bit on the scary side at times!). After one particular song, the whole church fell silent in meditative contemplation and worship, like they'd never done in the 3 years I'd been attending. There was a Presence in that time that is hard to pinpoint, but it affected us all.

There was only one other time, now that I think back, where there was a block of silence. And that was the only other time I've felt so close to God that tears streamed unbidden down my face. Causing my pew-mate to ask if I were OK, which completely broke the mood! :)

The memory of those times of stillness, and reading things like this have made me realize once again how big a place silence should have in our worship.

In crafting an entirely-different type of gathering, with no tradition to uphold, no unspoken laws to follow, I hope that we will be encouraged to be still at times. To let the quiet Voice talk. The one we too often drown out in worship noise.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home